Saturday 13 July 2013

The Diary of Atherya Sunleaf - Entry 8: The Wetlands



58th Day of Spring

   I was able to buy a horse in the Western Plaguelands - a fair and healthy mare - and though lightening my coin pouch, it's cut my journey time down considerably at the same time.
   I had also acquired some armour from a smith in the Eastern Plaguelands in anticipation of my southern journey, and while it is uncomfortable and heavy, I know it's a good investment.
   I've been on the road south for just over two weeks now, and I've been in the hostile territory of Khaz Modan for three days. So far I've been left alone by the denizens - a sole traveller is little threat to anyone, armoured or not - but I don't expect it to last.
   The Thandol Span - a great dual-bridge which is the only access point between Lordaeron and the southern continent - is absolutely amazing. It is so vast, stretching across the equally amazing Thandol Valley, and was built to withstand the weight of a full army. The western bridge is in a poor state, however, having been damaged by the Scourge in the Third War as I understand it, but it is still quite something to behold.
   Though, one strange thing did occur at several points on that day's journey: I could swear I heard laughter - manic, insane laughter. Whether my imagination (which begs the question: just why I would conjur that up in a place that wasn't remotely unsettling?), a remnant of the past, or from beings lurking within the Span even at this point in time, I don't know, but I can say that I was very pleased to put that bridge behind me.
   As for the Wetlands, there is little to say. It is as the name suggests: a swampy marsh with perpetually puddled roads and little flora, save for scattered trees and tall, thick grass. But I admit that I am interested in this place. The Dwarves are great diggers, and I happen to know of a digsite nearby. It won't be easy, but I would like to see if I can gain access to the digsite.
   Otherwise, I will carry on south. I'd like to get a look at the great Stonewrought Dam. It's supposedly one of the architectural wonders of our world.

-- Atherya Sunleaf              


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I read all comments, and they are fully moderated, so spamming here is pointless, since it won't be accepted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...